Saturday, January 3, 2009

CHARGER GAME IN REVIEW


10:45AM Henry lays out our matching outfits for the game. Two powder blue sweatshirts and matching hats. I will have a fireman rain coat (the perfect yellow) to either ward off the rain, or keep in the heat. Did I mention he is excited.




At 11:02 this morning Henry and I left for the game.
Allow me to repeat that...at 11:02 this morning Henry and I left for the game 5PM game. He is atsy (see picture) because he couldn't bring the car down yesterday and would not get "his" parking space. All the parking spaces would be gone--all of them. Scarily enough upon nearing the stadium, we were not the only insane people looking for parking...incredible. Of course, he probably finds it incredible that I am winding the yarn for my project.

There are NO parking spaces. He keeps driving by spaces saying, we'll fit in here, won't we? I said, Did you buy me a Smart Car when I wasn't looking. But he kept trying. These were spaces that unless we parked perpendicularly there was no way the car would fit. There were signs up parking $60--Sixty Dollars to park the car.....insane. Then we met Reno...ah, Reno.

Reno was out in front of Henry's normal space waving, of all things, a parking permit for the apartment complex. How much, I ask. You look like nice people (OK, I am waiting for $50..or $100), he says, $5. $5, I say?? $5. Done! Henry says..then do you have cash. As we know from blog 2...all I have is cash. I am able to loan him $9.00 to pay him the $5 and a tip.
This is a picture of my car happily parked in the parking space that Reno sold us that belonged to his friend Mike whom he gave none of the money to even though it was his rightful money. The picture above is of Reno and the dog that he rescued in Logan Heights named Lucy who was living on the streets. She jumped in someones car and ended up in Temecula. It made him cry. (Is this too much information....it clearly was for me we spoke for five minutes). We found out about the non-payment to Mike from the next door neighbor who also sells his parking space because he hasn't had a car since 2006 when they came and took it away for being late in his child support payments...shortly before his wife died. (This in the two minutes we spoke with him!) This is how my day is going.

We head up to the trolly to head to Perry's for brunch in Old Town.
I had my usual...did a little note taking, read the paper (another cash loan for Henry). But, all in all, two happy campers.


At 1:45 we are back at the Trolley to finish Hen's pre-game rituals. Back to the 7/11 for an Icee and to listen to the game on the car radio (yipee) prior to heading over to the tail gate parties at about 2:15.

Ah, tailgating. A whole new animal...
Lots of people!
Nice people!
Did this car just escape from "Pimp my Ride"?
On to the stadium. This is the only time at a stadium that it is better to be a girl. The "strip search"--I guess it is really possible that I will be hiding a gun in the back of my pants, but highly unlikely. This is a shot of the line to get in as early as we were--imagine the plight of people who arrive timely for the game. Too bad! So sad!

This was the beginning of the "opening ceremonies". I spent most of this time wondering how much red tape was involved and who all had to approve the cutting of the American Flag into the shape of the United States....the mind does wander.
The guys on the right sit two rows up and could not believe that I came to a game.

In another mind wandering moment. The ball was handed to a guy named Sproules every four seconds and all I could think was Jack Black in the Jackal -- Sprowl baby....



Oh, btw, we won the game in overtime. OVERTIME!! Not only did I have to stay for a whole game--it was overtime! We were home at 9:10PM....it is now 11:42 and we are just finishing watching the game on TV. YUP!! Twice! Bonus--4 inches of knitting Hen's new gloves.